Sunday, November 8, 2009

Just because everything's changing, doesn't mean it's never been this way before...




Wow, I've gotten bad at this!! I'll work on keepin up with the Jones' and blogging a little more often. For my own sanity and yours. :)

Life is still going well, the students have all headed off on their internships/homestays throughout Costa Rica (and some are even back in Nicaragua!). So it's been quiet around the office, which is strange, but not too bad! Starting tomorrow, Javier and I will be going around and visiting the LASC students for the next week, all over Costa Rica! So we will have some long days ahead of us!

In other news, this past Monday and Tuesday I was in La Fortuna with the International Business Concentration students (IBC). We first visited EARTH University in Limon, which was amazing! Students from all over the world come there, and all leave with a degree in egronomics (i think that's what it is, basically some kind of agricultural degree), so they all do the same program. The university was partially funded by USAID and other world organizations, to bring together people who are interested in sustainable business/agricultural practices. Many of the students are on at least a 50% scholarship (the school is $30,000 a year, which for most of the people would be at least twice of what their families make in a year) up to %100 scholarships. But then there are suuuuper rich students who also go there and pay the full price (rich as in, they arrive sometimes in helicopters. yup). It must be a fascinating school to attend! But anyway, all the students follow the same program, in which they divide up into groups of 6 people, and have to start their own business that puts into practice what they've learned in the university. The university gives each group a $3,000 loan, and then they actually make the business. It's so awesome, because it's not just theory, they really DO what they're learning! And some have made large profits off their businessess. It's just a really cool place! They even have a banana paper-making center, where they take leftover banana stalks, grind them into the pulp, and make paper out of it! Super cool. :)

After EARTH, we headed to La Fortuna, where Arenal Volcano is located. Unfortunately we didn't get a good view of the Volcano, since it's rainy season and all, so I have no pictures. But dont' worry, I'll be sure to go back. :) But we stayed in these great cabinas, and went to Eco Termales that night (AKA Hot springs!!!). The guy who owns it is a graduate of EARTH, so that was a really cool tie-together! They make their own natural cleaner from microorganisms that eat bacteria, they process all the waste to make fertilizers, and use the methane gas to cook the food in their gas stoves, i mean, it's unbelievable! They waste nothing there, it's just really astounding and inspiring! (Not to mention the hot springs are BEAUTIFUL and awesome to relax in!!! :) So all in all it was a great time, and then I got to return on my own on Tuesday, taking random busses and figuring out how to get back to San jose. So that was an adventure all its own! :)

Last night my host sister Maria Fernanda and I went over to the neighbor lady's house to hang out with her son and his girlfriend, which was fun! We had some wine, and then he taught us how to dance a little (since he used to be a dance instructor!) It was a lot of fun, especially to spend time with my host sister outside of the house! :) Very relaxing, and very fun! :)

All in all, life is great here, I am loving the independence I have, although at times it still can get lonely not having people who I've been friends with for a long time. But the students are amazing, and the staff..well, I just love them all! And I know they're all here for me no matter what! :) So thanks for your amazing prayers, and I am very excited to hear how you all are doing as well!! Much love my friends and family!!!
Paz

No comments:

Post a Comment