Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dia Tres!







Just some pictures from my house of my room, the view from my room, and my office!! :)
Well, today is officially day THREE of work! whoa, how the time has flown thus far! :) And so far, so good!
I still love being with my host family, I am trying to soak in this super-tranquilo (calm) time with them before the students arrive, although it's kind of hard sometimes too, just to be reading or watching TV while my sister studies (she has a LOT to study!). But I don't mind it too terribly, I do love reading! Plus Laura, (yes, I work with someone named Laura. ay. We need to find some good nickname for me, and fast. Hahaha :) but anyways, she has tons of awesome books, and she just loaned me this one called "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle." I read 2 chapters the other day (one about asparagus, haha not as boring as it sounds!) and it's super interesting! I definitely recommend it to anyone. It will greatly challenge your food choices. It's good. :) Anywho, yea. My host mom and I (since I've been getting home so early) have been watching this telenovela together that starts at like, 4:00 and ends at 5. I usually catch the 2nd half, so she catches me up on what's going on, we watch, we talk, then she goes to cook "supper" / cafecito. So it's really just chill.

Work is awesome as well, so far so good! Thus far I have organized some library books (and am going to be helping set up the new organization system for that), sent some emails, did some research on how to improve our website, typed in some reviews of the "Mini-LASP" that some professors just did here, and other randomness. I like working in this kind of environment, where I'm given things to do, but then have some independence to do them. It's exciting. :) And it's exciting to think that the students will be here in less than a week, but I'm also just enjoying this time of calm before the storm. ;) Hahaha. I don't mean that in a negative way! It will just be way crazier around here. :)
The first day the head honcho, Don Antonio, told me that I should think through what some of my goals/priorities/expectations are for this experience, so I know now what I want to be working at. Hmm. So I've been thinking about that for a while. 1) Work on my Spanish. I'm planning to be tutored like, 1 hour a week specifically to work on some Spanish, which should be great. 2) Get to know the staff on a new level. They are the ones I'll be around the most, and I want to learn from their experiences what it's like living and working in a foreign country, and what it's been like working with college students in this type of environment, since it's something I may want to do. 3) Get to know students. I do want to get to know the students, and spend time with them and let them feel like they can tell me about anything. But I guess I don't want to just get totally and completely wrapped up in hanging out with them. Which brings me to #4) Getting closer with my host family/ with the friends I have now in Naranjo and Grecia. I would like to spend some weekends out in Naranjo and Grecia, though not all of them; maybe not even a majority of them. But i guess 1-2 times a month I would like to go out there and reconnect with everyone, just because they were so special to me, and I would like to continue getting to know them and spend time with them over the next 10 months. Yea. Well so after thinking about it, I guess that mostly sums up the main part of my goals here. Plus, get some job experience, travel experience, and maybe sort of search around to see what kinds of jobs are lurking around in Central America, just in case I want to work here someday. :) Which is possible! Anything's possible!
Well, I sincerely thank you for reading my ramblings. :) Know that I miss you and want to hear from you any time!! Oh, and I'm going to post a few pictures at the bottom of this post, just views from my house, views of my office, and of my room. All the pictures I have for now. :) May God bless you today and onward, and I thank you for your friendship and for reading my blog. :) Amor y paz.

No comments:

Post a Comment